Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Language Enthusiast

this is a Latin manuscript (which I have no idea whats it about)

I have this all-time obsession with languages since small. I never thought of how I started speaking, but I knew that language is a part of us, which develops our mind, nurturing us and prepares us for our out coming. We may be monolingual, bilingual or trilingual, it never ends.

There are endless possibilities that we might be born to a father of half Chinese descent, considering they were from Southern China, where you could speak both Cantonese and Mandarin, and a third of Finnish, two thirds of Latin American descent. While maternally, you're a descendant of probably French and South African. Well, you do the math. How many languages could you possibly be speaking? Cantonese Chinese, Mandarin Chinese, Finnish, Spanish, French and Afrikaans? That sounds impossible right? But yeah, c'est possible.

Learning a new language, or foreign, is like discovering a new side of you. You get in touch with new cultures, new people, new ideas, and when everything adds up, it's just a new perspective on how you view life. Or at least, play with something new, instead of hanging on to a monotone, "English".

I first started off with French, for no reasons, I just learned French. Then, slowly, right now, I get to pick up from where I left Spanish off, and also attempting to pick up German. I've tried Japanese, but not really into it. Mandarin? Hmm, I could still remember most of the characters, and I think thats good enough :)

Sometimes, some of my friends, or even family criticize a lot on me learning a language. They're like, "What can you do on learning French, or Spanish, or German, or Japanese?" To me, it's no big deal! Learning a new language, is like inventing the light bulb. You'll definitely find ways to utilize it to its fullest. Who doesn't use light bulb now days? I mean, why do you learn English at the first place? It's like you knew you would use it some other day when you're just a new born? See what I mean?

Well, my last words, just ignore them whatsoever they said to you, if you're into it, go ahead and master it!

Cheers,
enthusiast

No comments:

Post a Comment